Friday 21 December 2012

A Segway Tour in Paris

We were in Paris last weekend for a bit of Christmas shopping. Initially we wanted to go to Germany for their famous markets but since A could get Eurostar tickets on discount ( from work ), we decided to go to Paris. In the end, we didn't buy a lot but it was fun nevertheless to see a Parisian Christmas market.

The market we went to is on the Champs-Élysées. We were first taken there on our Segway tour.  It was mainly food. Well, maybe we noticed these most as it was lunch time.  We didn't have time for lunch during the tour so H settled for a waffle. He couldn't resist all those Nutella jars lining up the stall.

 
We had a half hour training session on the Segway before we set off.  Jonnie, our tour guide made it looked so easy when he demostrated.  When a guy from our group jumped at the chance to be first to try and promptly performed a split, mounting the Segway, we were crestfallen.  Then H had a go and made it looked easy again so we were encouraged.  Fortunately I only wobbled the first time I mounted though stepping off took a few goes before I can stop the Segway running over my foot.
 
Jonnie had to run along with me, this first time because I was going too fast LOL.
 
 
Our first stop was the Military School and Champ de Mars.
 
 
During our tour, we visited quite a few monuments that I haven't seen such as the Invalides, the Golden Dome Church, even the Grand Palais. Here was our group waiting to cross the road. Fortunately we only encountered one French motorist who begrudged us using the crossing and decided not to stop for us. I am pleased to say hundreds others did, and this one car was not sporting a Parisian number plate.
 
 
We took the tour with City Segway Tours, based near the Eiffel Tower. It lasted approximately 3.5 hours.  We used pavements and cycle paths and I was amazed how we managed to control our Segway even around pedestrian. Apparently you can go up to 10 miles per hour though I am doubtful we achieved this but you can also go at walking pace.
 
When we finished the tour, we walked back to check out the rest of the market. We stopped off at Hagen Daaz for some ice-cream. H and A shared a fondue.
 
 
H and J both would want a Segway for Christmas.  H reckons he can go to school on it.  LOL...I am not sure our pavements are big enough. 

3 comments:

alexa said...

What a great way to get around! I love those photos of yummy food too ...

Scrappi Sandi said...

That looks like so much fun....& mmmmmm waffles & Nutella!!! :D

Scrappi Sandi said...

Happy New Year Ifa! Thanks for stopping by & leaving a comment...No my Mum never told me the origin of the music box & yes I have told my boys how it was the first gift my Dad bought for her...they don't recognise the tune though!! :D x