Wednesday 22 June 2011

He loves Mandarin


H started going to Mandarin club in September 2010. This involves staying after school until 5.30pm. Initially, I encouraged H to go because this coincides with J's Thursday afternoon activity. Now, coming to end of the school year, I am pleased H's enthusiasm for the club and the language has not diminish. During the year, I always have plenty to look forward to at pickup. H being H, the quality of reporting is excellent! Added to that, a "Tiger, tiger" sang in Mandarin to the tune of Frère Jacques and H's own poem, an "Ode to Miss H" ( Miss H being the Mandarin teacher ).

The school wants to encourage the pupil to take up more languages. This years Year 7 embarked on something labelled International Studios on their time table. This involves a rotation of Arabic, Russian, Portuguese and Japanese. H has enjoyed the brief taster but out of the languages, he loves Mandarin most.

The idea for this layout started with a Chinese newspaper that I picked up in a local shopping centre. The newspaper has been sitting in my scrap room for a while. I wasn't too sure how to incorporate it into my layout until I saw Suzanne's class on ATDML cyber crop. I photo copied a section of newspaper and used it in place of the "type" patterned paper that Suzanne used. I also omitted the stitching and elected for "dots with a pen" instead.

I have used an old collection from Crate Paper called Little Sprout so that's another kit broken into. I am slowly working through my paper stash that has been sitting idle this last year. I find that Crate Papers always work for me...I love Crate Paper. What about you ? What's your fail safe paper line ?

2 comments:

Ann Freeman (mafswife) said...

Great version of the class and neat idea with the paper too!

Sian said...

Stunning! And that lovely big photo shows he has his mum's smile :)